THE CREATIVE EDGE: 2018 EXHIBITION CALL OUT
The Creative Edge is a place, a line of intersection between the definitive, the known and the uncertain, the terrain yet to be explored…
This year Depot Artspace celebrates 21 years of serving the arts and creative community by continuing to adapt to an ever-changing and increasingly challenging environment and upholding what people value about the Depot.
This changing and challenging creative environment needs proactive galleries willing to step away from traditional exhibition forms and formats and offer diverse new opportunities.
So we have developed new exhibiting criteria for 2018 which are less prescriptive and more responsive to your ideas, your objectives and the changing art world.
We want to hear from:
- Recent graduates and emerging artists across all visual arts genres.
- Installation or conceptual artists.
- Exhibitors whose work relates to a signature event such as, Artweek Auckland, Auckland Photography Festival and Matariki etc…
- Exhibitors addressing social or environmental issues.
What we can offer you:
- One of the key components of the Depot valued by its members and visitors is the experience of community, through both the culture of the Depot and its exhibitions, which increasingly draws people together.
- We accept exhibition proposals from practitioners of any artistic discipline, individually or in groups.
- Depot Galleries will contribute towards some costs for selected exhibitions.
What we need from you:
- A 350-500 word description of your proposed project, which includes:
- Key themes in the exhibition
- An indication of your target audience
- Ideas of a related public programme such as an artist talk or exhibition based event.
- 4-5 images of the works you intend to exhibit or examples of relevant previous works
- A concise one-page CV
- Possible dates for the exhibition – Is it relevant to a specific event or festival?
Email your proposal to the Gallery Manager, Amber Lamana, email@example.com in a single PDF file that includes: Your exhibition description, CV, supporting images and proposed dates. (Please note files must be under 5MB to be received via email, otherwise please use a service such as WeTransfer.com)
Applications close: 27 October 2017, 5pm (Proposals will be responded to within 3-4 weeks of the proposal deadline).
OPPORTUNITY FOR FULL GALLERY HIRE
DEC 2017 – JAN 2018
We are inviting artists and other creatives interested in hiring the Depot Galleries at the Depot Artspace in Devonport from 23 December, 2017 through to 21 January, 2018, to get in touch with us!
This is a unique opportunity over a significant holiday period in a vibrant community, for an artist or group to hire the entire gallery space, and fully self-manage a ‘pop-up’, exhibition or other creative venture of your choosing. The Depot Galleries comprises of a large, open space and a smaller gallery, which exhibits a diverse range of works and presents many opportunities for exhibitors to use the space as their own.
The hirer will be entirely responsible for all aspects of the gallery including; installing the works, promotion, sales, staffing and dismantling their exhibition or display. A reasonable hire rate can be negotiated and the Depot will not take a commission from the sales of any work. The only stipulation for the hire is that it cannot be a commercial enterprise or an extension of an existing shop or business.
No need to submit a proposal, we are looking for people who would like to hire the space and to hear the ideas you might have for utilising it!
So if you are interested in hiring the space for an opportunity to host a solo show, retrospective, ‘pop-up’, group show, or other creative venture, please get in touch with our Depot Gallery Manager, Amber Lamana, firstname.lastname@example.org
THE ART ROOM & POCKET GALLERY
Members may apply to exhibit in either the Art Room or the Pocket Gallery through a simple application process. If you are not yet a member, please ensure to fill out the membership form as part of your application. Please ensure you thoroughly read the criteria and conditions for exhibiting at the Depot before applying. Download an application form HERE (.doc format) and email it to email@example.com.
Benefits for Members/Exhibitors
The Depot Artspace’s philosophy, creating an environment which encourages creating, is brought to life by the approach we hold in regard to exhibiting work. The Depot offers a team of highly skilled and experienced professionals who will work closely with you to help you make your exhibition a success.
Gallery rental includes the following services:
- Consultation prior to your exhibition.
- Advice on marketing strategy and audience engagement.
- Pricing advice and sales support.
- Guidance on installation and set-up.
- Email invitation to our mailing list of over 2,500 database.
- Details of your exhibition on our website, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Listings on Eventfinda, Artsdiary, Art News, Who Arted? (bFM), The Big Idea, The Flagstaff, our magazine LOUD and more.
- Professional staff invigilation of the gallery six days a week. Sundays and public holidays are the responsibility of exhibiting artists.